Tuesday, September 22, 2009

ALL CURLED UP: LE BIGOUDI by P.B. Lecron


My favorite French word, bigoudi, is a very likely sounding name for a hair roller. (The i's are pronounced like long e's.)

I even know a French family who nicknamed its grandmother  Bigoudette because she spent so much time with her hair in a mise en plis, or set in curlers.


At home, too, we called our own tender-headed and tantrum-throwing toddler who would hardly let us touch his hair, Le Bigoudi I was dumb-founded at the check-out stand in a French supermarket one day when a young clerk admiring my little boy's anglaises or boucles  (curly locks), naively asked me if I rolled his hair. "No," I said, and glibly gave her my down-pat, all-purpose explanation,"He's French."


Dictum:  Cheveux frisés, aimé. Curly hair, well-loved.




Text & photos ©2009 P.B. Lecron

No comments:

Post a Comment